Rockland Community College: First Choice for Honors

The Honors Program at Rock­land Community College (RCC) is nationally recognized for offering highly advanced academic pursuits and for preparing students to transfer successfully to Ivy League and other outstanding four-year colleges.

The Sam Draper Honors Program was selected by the federal government to serve as a model for community college honors programs in the United States.

“After graduating from RCC’s Honors Program, I transferred to Harvard on full scholarship. The Honors Program helped me acquire the skills and knowledge I needed to handle the rigorous academics at Harvard, and later in the JD-MBA program at Stanford.”

—Monica Ganssle

attorney and investment banker

Grads Transfer to Top Colleges

Ivy League and Tier One recruiters seek out Rockland Community College Honors students for transfer, thanks to the program’s reputation for producing highly qualified candidates. Students who graduate with a GPA of 3.5 or higher have a high rate of transferring to top schools such as: Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, Harvard, NYU, Sarah Lawrence, Smith, SUNY cam­puses, University of Michi­gan, University of Pennsylvania, Yale and many more.

“I enrolled at Rockland Community College to improve my chances of transferring to a top college. After graduating, I was accepted by Georgetown, Cornell and the University of Virginia. I earned my bachelor’s from Georgetown and two master’s degrees from Yale.”

—Christopher McManus

Mentoring

Honors classes are taught by experienced professors who are paired with students in a personalized mentoring relationship based on students’ individual interests and talents. Mentors help arrange schedules, guide students’ progress, and help with transfer to a four-year college or university.

“I wouldn’t have been able to get to where I am today without my RCC professors’ guidance and personal attention. You are unlikely to find such caring faculty at a large university.”

—Elizabeth Snaider

Cornell University graduate; UBS investment banker

Study at Cambridge University in England

The rigorous and exciting nature of the Honors Program is enhanced by unique experiences such as a summer session at Cambridge University.

“Studying science at Cam­bridge University during my time at RCC enriched my studies.”

—Wenshuo Zhang

Cornell ’04; PhD, molecular metabolism, University of Chicago

Great Value

Save up to $100,000 by attending RCC before transferring to a four-year school. Financial aid and scholarships are available. Tuition for NYS residents is only $2,293 per semester for full-time students (12–18 credits), or $192 per credit for part-time students.

Wide Range of Academic Programs

Rockland offers 50 degree and certificate programs. New programs include engineering science, speech/communication studies and green building maintenance and management.

Rich Campus Life

RCC students enjoy an active life outside the classroom. You can distinguish yourself in several areas such as the award-winning student newspaper and literary magazine, Student Government Association, Christian Fellowship, Habitat for Humanity, Hillel and more. There are several clubs directly related to the field of science including the Environmental Club, Organic Garden Club, Chemistry Club and the Biology Club. The RCC Hawks compete in several sports including volleyball, tennis, basketball, soccer, and baseball.

Internship Opportunities

Earn credit towards your degree while gaining hands-on experience in companies such as Cablevision, CBS News, Madi­son Square Garden, Morgan Stanley, Good Samaritan Hospital, Prudential Securities, Walt Disney and many more.

Can High School Seniors Enroll?

The Honors Program is open to high school seniors who wish to complete their senior year of high school by registering as full-time Early Admit students at RCC and taking credit courses on campus.

Am I Eligible?

Several factors influence acceptance into the Program, including SAT scores, high school GPA, Regents course loads, and personal interview. Special talents and extenuating circumstances may play a role in your admission.

Honors Program Info Session and RCC Open House

Find out if RCC’s nationally acclaimed Honors Program is right for you. Attend an Honors Program Info Session on October 24, 2017, 6:30–9:30 pm or RCC’s Open House on Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 5:30–7:30 pm. Both sessions take place in the Technology Center.

For information about the Honors Program, contact Carol Coiro at (845) 574-4796 or ccoiro@sunyrockland.edu, or visit sunyrockland.edu/go/honors.