top of page

Scholarships for Military Families

Both the federal government and nonprofit organizations offer money for college to veterans, future military personnel, active duty personnel, or those related to veterans or active duty personnel.

The Air Force, Army, and Navy all have scholarship programs to help students who are interested in becoming officers in the service after graduation. Scholarships are awarded to entering college freshmen based on their high school grades, SAT scores, activities, etc. Scholarships are also awarded to college sophomores and juniors based on their performance in the ROTC program and grades in college.

These scholarships pay for tuition, fees, books and laboratory expenses. In addition, scholarship holders receive a monthly stipend during the 10 months of the school year depending on the recipient’s level in the ROTC curriculum.

Members of ROTC units who are not scholarship holders receive a monthly allowance for the last two years of college. Of course, all students who are commissioned through ROTC programs must agree to spend a stipulated length of time in the service.

For more detailed information, students should contact the recruiting office of the service in which they are interested.


Army ROTC scholarships are offered at more than 1,000 colleges. For application packets, information about eligibility, and the telephone number of an ROTC advisor in your area, call 1-888-550-ARMY (1-888-550-2769) or visit

Air Force ROTC

The Air Force ROTC college scholarship program targets students pursuing certain foreign language and technical degrees, although students entering a wide variety of majors may be accepted. For more information, call 1-866-4-AFROTC (1-866-423-7682) or visit


The Navy ROTC offers both four-year and partial scholarships. To learn more, call 1-800-NAV-ROTC (1-800-628-7682) or visit

MarineOfficer Navy ROTC

The Navy ROTC Marine Option Scholarship helps you pay your way through college at approved Navy ROTC schools. For more information visit

Veterans Service Organization Scholarships

The following organizations offer scholarships primarily to active duty military, veterans, and their families. Further information is available at the websites listed below.

American Legion


Paralyzed Veterans of America

Veterans of Foreign Wars

U.S. Department of Education(ED)Grants

If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, you may be eligible for ED grant funds.

To determine your eligibility, visit Before you can receive such grant funds, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA®) at .

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits

The VA offers education benefits for veterans and for their widows and dependents with its Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program. For more information visit

bottom of page